Reading, makes me feel relax.
Reading, helps me to de-stress.
Reading, makes me ponder a lot, reflect my own life.
Whether it is romance, suspense, thriller, mystery, historical, horror, or chic-lit,
Reading, brings me a new level of pleasures and satisfaction.

Please also visit

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins



From Goodreads:

n the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.


I have been reading a lots of good comments about this Hunger Games series. I'm not too sure what my expectations suppose to be, but I feel depressing reading this book 1. Why? Because I found the story is kind of cruel. I find it's a bit hard for me to accept that the children are forced to kill each other for the sake of entertainment for the others. How cruel it is. But that's this Hunger Games is all about.

Despite depressing, I would say this whole story is very well written. The plot is good, the characters are well developed with strong heroine. Katniss definitely has strong will to stay alive in the Hunger Games despite having mixed feeling to Peeta. Peeta even though does not have those survival skills that Katniss is having, but he definitely knows what he's good at and manage to survive long enough until Katniss comes to save him. About Haymitch, I almost get cheated by his addiction on alcohol. He's definitely a smart and brilliant one when he's sober.

Although depressing, but I do enjoy reading the part when they are in the arena. Who is ally and who is enemy? Katniss has to make the right judgment and choices in order to survive. In the arena, just physically strong and skillful are not sufficient. The Hunger Games is a show. Response from the audience do play some parts.

Though depressing, but I think it's worth reading. I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments: