Reading, makes me feel relax.
Reading, helps me to de-stress.
Reading, makes me ponder a lot, reflect my own life.
Whether it is romance, suspense, thriller, mystery, historical, horror, or chic-lit,
Reading, brings me a new level of pleasures and satisfaction.

Please also visit

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Promises She Keeps by Erin Healy


Title:            The Promises She Keeps
Publisher:     Thomas Nelson
Pub Date:    02/08/2011
ISBN:         9781595547514
Author:        Erin Healy


This book has been sitting on my to-read list for quite a few months, but I was in a mood to read it. Finally I picked it up last week, and I feel as if I have found a jewel. I think I will regret if I have missed it. It is different comparing to most other fiction books that I have read. Since most of the main characters in this book are artists, together with the storyline it makes me feel a little "abstract". Some part of the story is a bit eerie, and yet makes me feel calm.

Promise is a talented young singer with terminal illness. Despite her health condition, she never giving up hope in her life and she wants to leave her name behind after she dies. For she knows she would die at young age, she wants to be remembered.

Porta is an aging sorceress who seeks immortality. She just moved into the town where Promise is staying and opens an art gallery there. She believes the art has power to speak into a life and can heal a soul.

When Promise survives a series of freak accidents, all involving Zack, Porta believes that Promise may hold the key to eternal life. Zack is an art student in the university that Promise is studying in. He's also Porta's son. However he does not have good relationship with Porta.

Chase is an autistic artist in early thirties who loves to draw trees. He has great knowledge of trees, on their scientific name, their common name and their characteristic. Despite having autism, to me Chase has the most pure heart amongst all of them. He sees people through relating them to trees. He can tell Porta and Zack are not good people and they will harm Promise. And he loves Promise. He knew he was made for her. He risks himself trying to save Promise.

The whole story reminded me about things happen for a reason. There are things meant for you and there are things not meant for you. But it seems like only Chase understands about this. I like his heart, his clear mind, and his intelligent. As if he has a special gift to see things. I dislike Porta the most. She is a selfish mother and very self centered. She even goes as far as manipulating her son in order to get what she wants.

I like the way the author builds the characters and the plot. It requires us to read it with open mind and open heart. The ending is a little sad but I suppose it's the best for everyone. It is a beautiful story in its own way.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.


Note: I receive the review copy of this book from the publisher via Net Gallery. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments: