Reading, makes me feel relax.
Reading, helps me to de-stress.
Reading, makes me ponder a lot, reflect my own life.
Whether it is romance, suspense, thriller, mystery, historical, horror, or chic-lit,
Reading, brings me a new level of pleasures and satisfaction.

Please also visit

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Goddess Test by Aimée Carter



Title:         The Goddess Test
SubTitle:    Book I in The Goddess Test series
Publisher:   Harlequin
Imprint:      HarlequinTEEN
Pub Date:   04/26/2011
ISBN:         9780373210268
Author:       Aimée Carter


Book Description:

EVERY GIRL who has taken the test has DIED.

Now it's KATE'S TURN.

It’s always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate’s going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won’t live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he’ll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he’s crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she’ll become Henry’s future bride, and a goddess.

If she fails...


Excert from The Goddess Test:

“The prize is immortality,” Henry said. “It’s not something we give out lightly, and we need to make sure it is something you can handle.”

I felt a cold block of ice form in the pit of my stomach. So my choices now were to live forever or die trying. Somehow it didn’t seem fair.

“You will do well,” Henry said. “I can feel it. And afterward, you will help me do something that no one else is capable of doing. You will have power beyond imagining, and you will never fear death again. You will never grow old and you will always be beautiful. You will have eternal life to spend as you wish.” But would I have my mother?


My Review:

The story is written as Kate as the first person. Kate is independent and kind. Despite cheated by a new friend she just got to know in the new school, she did not hesitate to help her even though the situation put her life in danger. Due to her mother's illness, she treasured life more than others. She was even willing to do anything to save her friends. This shows how selfless Kate is. Sadly in reality there are lots of people like to take advantage of others despite being their good friend.

The story is based on Greek Mythology on the tale of Persephone and Hades. Since Kate is the first person in the story, there were lots of thoughts from Kate. I wish there were more thoughts from Henry were told in the story, for example when and how Henry fall in love with Kate.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars.


Author bio:

Aimée Carter was born in 1986 and attended the University of Michigan. She started writing at age eleven, focusing first on fan fiction and later on original work, and hasn’t stopped since. The Goddess Test is her first novel.  Check out her website at www.aimeecarter.com.


Note: I receive the ARC of this book from the publisher via Net Gallery. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments: